Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Who's Bad?

I've been working on eliminating negative self-talk for years.  Why do I do it?  Where does it come from?  How can I make it stop?  All questions for a future therapist when I can finally afford one.  Until then, I try my best not to label foods as "bad" or "good", and more importantly, not to label myself as "bad" or "good" when I indulge in said foods.
That said, check out my mostly Paleo answer to my weekend desire for being bad indulgent:

Paleo Fish and Chips




This meal was as equally delicious as it was nutritious.  Okay, the white potato is not completely nutritious (or Paleo), but tossing a potato with olive oil and roasting it in the oven is a far cry from diving knee deep into french fries at McDonald's.  So there.

Here's the recipe:

1lb Fresh Fish (I used Tilapia)
1/2 cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup Almond Meal/Flour (I used Trader Joe's)
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Creole Seasoning (or Salt and Pepper to taste)
1 Egg
Coconut Oil and Olive Oil
2 Russet Potatoes
Salt and Pepper

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.  Slice up your potatoes and toss with as little or as much olive oil as you like, salt, and pepper.  Bake for about 20 minutes, turning the tots over after 10 minutes.
When your potatoes have been in the oven for about ten minutes, get started on your fish.  Slice fish into "tender" size pieces.  Mix coconut, almond meal, baking powder and seasoning in a bowl.  Beat the egg in a different bowl.  Heat up your oil in a skillet.  50/50 coconut and olive works great, but any healthy high-heat fat would do.  Take a tender, dip it in the egg, dip it in the dry mixture, then gently place it in your hot, oiled skillet.  Repeat.  When the cooked side begins to look golden brown, flip your fish gently.  Serve with lemon!  Delish!

xo tay

1 comment:

  1. That looks so yummy and you are right, much better than Mickey Ds...Thanks for the recipe..I'll have Ashton do the cooking, I'll do the eating...Love

    ReplyDelete